Thursday, February 4, 2010

in search of safety!

I sit here in my sisters apartment preparing for my flight back to Jos City, Nigeria (the city that my family and I have come to adopt as our home) inundated with boxes of items (we love boxes in Nigeria not bombs) I am taking back to my loved ones at home especially for Justice the new addition to the family. I am also inundated with situation back home in Jos with the recent ethno-religious crisis that rocked the city in my absence. Someone posted on my facebook page that I am not coming back to the Jos City which I left behind three weeks ago and that as a matter of fact many state governments especially from the south have sent buses to evacuate their citizens back “home”; I even read about the resolution passed by the Bauchi state assembly asking all Plateau state indigenes to leave with the state within a specified time frame. My concern and question in moments like this is where exactly can one find and be assured of safety. As I gave a deep thought to this, the Lord brought back to my mind a phrase that one of my associate pastors used many years ago while teaching on the subject of the will of God and the need for believers who desire to amount to anything in the hand of  to passionately pursue it regardless of the pressures and pains that this pursuit might bring. He went on during this discourse to impress on our hearts the wide scope of the will of God to the point that there is an aspect of the will of God which he referred to as the GEOGRAPHICAL WILL OF GOD which means that the will and call of God for a person’s life has a geographical content in the sense that this will can only carried out in a particular geographical location.

This truth is more relevant today as people all over the world are searching for safe zones, safe cities and safe countries and every nation on this planet seem to be more concerned about security of human lives in the face of Islamic terrorism. This is the time for believers to seek God for His “GEOGRAPHICAL WILL”that is – where exactly would God have us reside, where is He desiring to plant us so that we can do His will. We cannot afford at this time to judge by the sight of our natural eyes or make decisions based on newspaper reports and rumours.

It is my belief that God will sustain us where we are planted and nourish us as He did prophet Elijah who made a trip to Zarephath where everybody was deserting because of the famine, I guess a lot of State governments might have sent buses to rapture their citizens in those days too.

What is the geographical will of God for you?

Mine is Jos City & there I choose to stay

Blessings

4 comments:

Tigeress said...

What is the geographical will of God for me? That is a question i find myself asking God since the beginning of this year. I do not know but one thing i do know is that His will be done and where ever i find myself- He will make a way for me.

http://thecounselorandherthots.blogspot.com/

anne said...

Now as in the case of Jos city, it will take the absolute grace of God to stay within the geographical will of God. The landscape and group dynamics have so totally changed such that people are leaving jos on a daily basis even when they have no idea of where they are going or what they are going to do. Individual and collective enthusiasm about jos has declined at an alarming rate. Since jos is now a military zone, the simple pleasure of just talking a walk around your neighbourhood could amount to asking for too much. That is why at a time like this, it takes the Grace to be within the Will.

OLUSEGUN GBOLAGUN said...

I absolutely agree with the concept of the geographical will of God, because Abraham demonstrated it, Jesus knew the geographical limit of His ministry while on earth. However, a lot of saints find it difficult to give assent to this principle because there is a lack of understanding of the central life purpose that God has for them. If a man understands what God will have him do, he will know he cannot do it in any place.

Pnooell said...

I stayed in Jos for a while and there I had one of the best moments of my life. The city was a peaceful and beautiful place. I made up my mind I would return to live in the city but now I can't say the same. In the aftermath of the recent crisis that sadly has hit Jos, I made up my mind never to step in there again but really when God asks one to take a step, one just has to. If God asks me to go, I will trust Him to keep me safe there.